Backyards are amazing spaces perfect for hosting parties, playing on nice days, and just generally providing a peaceful outdoor environment to spend time in. It can be a constant struggle to keep it looking clean and tidy, especially if your furniture and play equipment has no rhyme or reason in layout. If you’ve always wanted to clean up and reorganize your backyard, this is your chance! We’ve put together a guide for you to use when you’re ready and willing to take on this task, just remember that it will likely take a few hours to get everything done. Grab your cleaning supplies, enlist some assistance, and let’s get down to business.
How to Clean Your Backyard?
Keeping your backyard clean and organized is a great way to make your home more presentable and comfortable for your family and for guests. You’ll also find yourself more likely and willing to spend time outside each day for some fresh air and direct sunlight. Your backyard can easily become your home’s oasis and become a space that the whole family can enjoy. Not to mention that a tidy and functional backyard makes for a fantastic hosting space for those who enjoy having company over.
Backyards are spaces that can vary greatly from home to home. They can come in all shapes and sizes and can include anything from patios to decks, and gardens to swing sets. Knowing how to clean up your backyard is just the first step toward creating an inviting space for your home. Here is our full guide to cleaning up around your backyard like a pro:
Gather Your Supplies
To make this project easier for you and your assistants, if you’re lucky enough to have them, go ahead and gather everything you’ll need. Here are our best-recommended tools and products for this cleaning project:
There could be additional tools and products you may need, depending on your backyard. Many of the products meant for cleaning around the outside of your home will include stronger chemicals, so be careful that you are protected and that any kids and pets are safe inside.
Make a Note
Before you get started, it would be a good idea to walk around your backyard and take note of the tasks you’d like to accomplish. This can mean assessing the state of and cleaning any furniture, throwing out old toys, trimming hedges back, pulling weeds, and cleaning concrete pavers.
Be thorough in your assessment and air on the side of safety when managing large and heavy furniture or play equipment.
Clear Up and Clear Out
The first cleaning task you’ll want to take care of is clearing the backyard of any furniture or toys that are both in the way and need to be cleaned. You can set these things aside and in the driveway if possible for easier access when cleaning. When cleaning up your backyard, the best way to make sure you covered everything is by starting with a blank slate. Clear your deck or patio, pick up and put away forgotten toys, make sure gardening tools have been put away properly, and even box up items you’d like to donate.
You’ll also want to take some time to throw out any trash and debris from around the yard. If there’s old wood, rock piles, or broken furniture you haven’t gotten around to getting rid of, now is the time to take care of it all. If you have some larger debris around your backyard, don’t hesitate to call a junk removal company for some help with getting rid of it.
Lawn and Garden Care
Once everything is out of the way and you have a blank canvas to work with, you can start working on the lawn and garden. Some backyards may be small and have little to no grass, so those yards obviously won’t need lawn care. However, for larger yards, it’s time for some TLC. Start by cutting the grass and cleaning up the edges around paths and pavers so that you can clearly see around your yard.
Trim up the shrubbery, prune dead or dying trees and plants, rake up the leaves from around the yard, and clear away any pine straw or mulch that needs to be replaced from your garden. If you do have a garden in your backyard, this is a good time to use that green thumb of yours to clean up and take care of your plants and flowers.
Clear the Path
While your furniture is clear from your patio or pavers, this is your opportunity to give the concrete the refreshing it needs. Here is the quick and easy way to clean the concrete around your backyard:
- Sweep or use a blower to remove any leaves and debris from the concrete.
- Use your hose to completely soak the concrete with water.
- Use a concrete cleaning solution to scrub and clean the surface of the concrete, making sure that you are following the directions provided on the label of the product.
- For stubborn stains, treat the areas with another round of cleaning solution and allow the solution to soak for a longer amount of time.
- Use the hose to rinse the solution from the concrete as thoroughly as possible, any remaining solution can be harmful to pets and children and could potentially stain fabric.
- Once the concrete has been cleaned, you can leave it to dry for about an hour and then sweep it again to make sure it is completely clear of debris.
- If you have a wooden deck or patio, make sure it is swept clean of debris before hosing it down and cleaning it.
The last step in cleaning up the backyard is the fence. No matter what type of fence you have, wooden or chain link, it could be restored to presentable condition. Whether that means breaking out the pressure washer or trimming down weeds and vines from around the surface almost always depends on the type of fence. If you’re in need of a basic cleaning solution to treat and clean wooden fence, here is our recommendation:
- Fill a bucket with warm water and mix in a few drops of dish soap.
- Use a sponge, or scrub brush for stubborn stains and grime, to spread the soapy water around the surface of the fence.
- Allow the soapy water to cut through the grime before scrubbing the fence clean. We suggest scrubbing the fence posts or slats from top to bottom for the best results.
- Use your garden hose, or a pressure washing hose, to rinse the soapy water from the surface of the fence. You can repeat this process if needed.
Once your fence is clean, you’ll be finished with the major cleanup projects around the yard. Make sure any decor like potted plants or other lawn decor has been cleaned and reset as well before moving on to resetting your furniture.
Freshen Up the Furniture
If you have outdoor furniture that hasn’t been cleaned since you got it, we’re not here to judge. There is no time like the present to clean it up and make some repairs if necessary. Dust and clean up around light fixtures first so that everything will be ready when you replace the furniture later. To clean your furniture, just fill a bucket with water and add in a few drops of dish soap to cut through any tough grime on the surface. Some furniture may need more intensive cleaning, so make sure you know the best practices for different materials. You can also take some time to clean any toys and play equipment from around the yard.
Once your furniture is clean, you should check all over for any chips in the paint or other repairs you can make to damaged tables and chairs. When you’ve finished cleaning and making repairs, you can leave everything aside for now so that it can fully dry.
Organizing Your Backyard
When you’re finished with the cleaning process and you’re ready to start bringing back all your freshly cleaned furniture and play equipment, take a moment to look around. How is your backyard laid out? What would look best in the best and how can you make the most of the space you have? If you’re wondering how in the world to answer some of the design questions regarding your backyard, allow us to help out. Here are a few of our best tips and tricks for making sure your backyard remains clean and tidy year-round:
- Create zones for play areas, hosting spaces, and meal preparation. When you have an idea of where things from specific categories can fit, the whole design becomes easier to execute. For example, you wouldn’t want your kids’ sandbox right next to the grill and you certainly wouldn’t want gardening tools hanging near the swing set.
- Speaking of hanging gardening tools, one of the best hacks for maximizing limited space is by going vertical. Use wall space or shelving to store smaller potted plants, gardening tools, or even grilling utensils. This is also a great way to keep your garden hose nicely coiled and ready to use whenever you may need it. A vertical garden trellis is also a great way to incorporate your green thumb and make the space come alive.
- If your yard is big enough, it may be worthwhile to look into sheds or other storage solutions for lawn and garden equipment. As long as the tools you use for lawn maintenance are organized and safely stored out of reach from little hands, any storage solutions you have will work fine.
- Have some outdoor storage for toys if bringing them inside isn’t an option. When toys are laying around and discarded around the yard, the whole place can seem a little cluttered. Why not create a simple and easy to understand way to make sure every toy gets picked up with an outdoor toy box or storage system. Don’t let anymore Barbie’s accidentally meet the lawnmower when the grass gets too high to see through.
- Proper lighting is key for great hosting spaces. One of our favorite lighting features is overhead string lights, but we also love tiki torches for larger yards. One great aspect of some torches is that there are fuel options that double as insect repellant.
- Adding color around the yard is a great way to keep things fun and inviting for hosting any event or just hanging out on a nice day. You can add colorful cushions to your chairs and benches, add a new rug, and you can even paint your fence to tie everything together. Make sure you choose colors that are seasonally neutral or have some decor that you can switch out based on the time of year.
Benefits of a Clean and Organized Backyard?
We know cleaning uo your backyard can be a pretty monumental task for many, especially those with larger yards. There are benefits having a clean and nicely laid out outdoor space, however. One of the biggest benefits to note is that a tidy and well kept backyard can easily add to the overall value of your home. We love our outdoor spaces because it allows for an easy escape during warmer months, and a great space to play and decorate during the colder months.
Not to mention the peace and quiet that comes from a well-kept space, its perfect for reading or painting or other hobbies. Having a space outside where you can take in some direct sunlight and fresh air is one of the best benefits not only to your home, but to your physical and mental health. Everyone needs a break from sitting inside each day, why not make the most of the outdoor space available to you?
What is the fastest way to clean up your yard?
The fastest and most efficient way to make your yard look and feel cleaner is by cutting the grass and clearing away leaves. You should also take some time to make sure everything is in its proper place, like lawn tools and toys. When there is no clutter and the grass so clearly visible, your yard will automatically look ten times better.
How can I make my backyard more enjoyable?
One of the best way to make your backyard a more enjoyable space is by making sure it is clean and tidy on a regular basis. You should also make sure you have plenty of comfortable seating and privacy so that it truly feels like your own personal oasis.
How do I plan a small backyard?
The best way to plan a functional space in a small backyard is by maximizing vertical space and minimizing furniture. Small outdoor spaces can feel cramped with large benches or sofas, so keep things small with a few comfy chairs or even floor cushions. You can also utilize a vertical garden space to create some privacy around the space while also bringing some lively greenery to the area.
What are must-haves in a backyard?
Comfortable seating, cozy lighting, outdoor storage, and a grill or stove for cooking are some of the best must-have items for any backyard. When you are considering what sort of furniture and cooking equipment to purchase for your backyard, always think of the basics. Anything you’d want available when hosting or cooking-out is something you should look into.
How do I keep my yard clean with trees?
Regular raking or blowing of leaves is a must when you are looking to keep your backyard clean with a lot of trees. Trees are great for creating shaded and cool spaces in the warmer months, but the leaves they drop in the cooler months can greatly effect the appearance of the space. While it seems like an unnecessary and constant battle, keeping leaves raked and under control is he best way to make sure your backyard always looks tidy and inviting.
We hope you were able to make your backyard look and feel amazing after following this cleaning and organization guide. Even if your outdoor space is small and limited, there’s no reason to not make sure it can be at its best. If you’re stuck wishing for an outdoor space but haven’t gotten so lucky, don’t give up. We can help you make sure your apartment still feels like a clean and tidy oasis. Check out our apartment cleaning services to find out how we can help you make the most of your space, indoor or out!